13 June 2011

Day 9: A Wash in GaPa

We're arrived safe and sound in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a ski town in southern Germany (1.5 hours south of Munich). Until the early 20th century, this used to be two towns: Garmisch and Partenkirchen, but they merged in the 1900s to host a ski competition and never looked back.

The alps are beautiful, but the weather was a bit rainy. Also, S hadn't really recovered from fitful sleep on Saturday night and bouncy fitful sleep on Sunday night, so she was a zombie today. The owner of our rental unit met us at the train station and walked us to our apartment, and shortly after he left, S laid down for a short nap. That lasted 5 hours.

I went in search of food, but wound up fairly fruitless (literally). It's a holiday here in Germany, so all of the grocery stores and 70% of the restaurants are closed. I ended up buying pizza and beer and juice at the convenience store at the train station. While I was out, I wandered town a bit. It's hard to get a sense of what the town is like, since everything was shut up tight for the holiday.

While S slept, I worked on the Prague projects. I needed to get a lot of programming done, so I took a lazy day today to do it. That's finished, until my collaborators start sending their pieces to me for incorporation.

I didn't take a lot of photos today, but here's one of dusk on the cloudy mountains, taken from our balcony:


No comments: