13 June 2008

Italy 08: Day 1, part 2

A wonderful day wandering the city. After my shower and change of clothes, I left our hotel:

and wandered around town for a while. First, I headed towards The Pantheon,


which is stunning with its open occulus and magical light. I made a couple of field recordings there, but soon left for other sites, including The Trevi Fountain:


and Piazza Navona:


It's all real purty. After an afternoon of wandering the city, I started to get a little punchy, and I couldn't help channeling my inner Eddie Izzard for the first photos from a larger set I like to call 'Ciao':


Hey look! In Italy, they know how to spell my name right!


Once the rest of the clan got here, I met up with them for more traipsing. First, I found Eli:


And then, we found Jaymi:


Jaymi's lighter was, apparently, 85% childproof...


...or maybe 85% of children's heads are the same size as padlocks. I'm not sure.

Eli, Jaymi and I wandered around Piazza Navona for a while, peeking in the shops and looking for a place to get some pizza. Once we met up with Benny & Cambria,


we were all met, and we tried to eat some pizza. Initially, we failed. The place Eli wanted to take us to was closed, so we had a beer while we waited for them to open. After they opened, they told us that they were closed for a private party. Undaunted, we found another place that was just as good, if not better. We ordered a number of pizzas, but the one that was the most amazing was called the Pizza Stregata (Bewitched Pizza):


In case you're looking, that's peppers, salami, sausage, cheese, eggplant, mushrooms, olives, zuchinni, and yes, one egg, over hard. Mmmm. After dinner, we went for gelato and headed back to Trevi to see it at night. Cambria & Benny took off, and when we got back to the hotel, Jaymi and I stayed up for a nightcap. In addition to my great photos, I also made some good (I think) field recordings!

Tomorrow we meet at the train station at 9.30 to travel to Arezzo! Hopefully the network there will be better than it is here - it's very spotty. It took me a long time to get these photos uploaded and blogged (and that is why I didn't rotate the two photos that are sideways...) (EDIT: it's 5.30am here in Italy on Friday morning. I woke up about an hour ago and can't get back to sleep. Instead of laying awake in bed, I re-oriented those photos.).

No comments: