13 September 2023

Day 7: Tech Day 3!

Last night, the heat finally broke, and this morning I went for a run.  Our apartment is on the east side of down, and I ran down an narrow isthmus before returning through a small park.   Along the way, I passed a skateboard half-pipe underneath a highway overpass, and a pair of canal locks to help manage water flow.




The rehearsal day was fairly minimal.  W, our video designer, had collected hundreds of questions about the design for the show, so today L, B, R, and I basically hung around in the theatre to be able to answer questions while he worked through his design.  It let me get a bunch of UCI stuff done (syllabi, reports, outlines, etc.).  L and I also took a few walks through on breaks (23,000 steps!).

Here's a photo of the Academy of Theatre and Dance.  Our venue is on the fifth floor, in the back of the building.


If you look closely, you can see railings of a patio on the roof of the building.  We got up there and took this panorama of the city from the roof.


After rehearsal, we met up with B and R and went to Mezrab, a storytelling venue for immigrants and ex-pats in Amsterdam. R hosted the evening, which featured storytellers from Lebanon, Iran, Holland, and the US.  


B closed the evening with a story about how dangerous talking about female empowerment in Iraq is:


After the event was over, I was exhausted (from the run?  from not sleeping much?), so we hightailed it home and I was in bed by 11.15.



No comments: