10 September 2023

Day 4: Tech

Woke up again at 6.  That's been a consistent thing for me, regardless of jetlag and when I went to bed.  Is there something in the apartment that's waking me?  Unsure.

After showering the sweat off my body from yesterday, L and I biked into town and grabbed breakfast.  We were in the theatre by 9am to get ready for the day of tech for Anatomy of a Home.  The tech went well; we were able to take care of the notes we needed to do for lights and sound, though we won't have video until next week.  This is my first show using SPAT Revolution, which I'm really enjoying due to its power and flexibility.  

Raffi in tech.


We ended the day early and all got to catch up on work in the space (and a/c) for the rest of the afternoon After we wrapped up our notes session, B and K found a bar (the 1695 bar below!) to work at while L and I wandered the area taking photos. 


Tipsy buildings lean on each other for support.

You have to be a good parallel parker to have a dry car.

The small bar in front of our theatre dates back to 1695.

This city is lousy with beauty!

We all met back up at the bar (where I tried my first Bitterball) for dinner at an Indonesian Restaurant on Rembrantplein.  I found it on google, and though we were initially skeptical due to the restaurant's presence in a very touristy area, the food was delicious!  I could eat Indonesian food every night here!  

After dinner we walked to the Dutch National Opera to watch Ivo Van Hove's production of Mahagonny.  I'm not a big opera fan (pace, musical style), but this was a terrific design that revealed so much about the text and the story.  Plus, I am a big Brecht and Weill fan. What a treat!


The National Opera

When the opera was done, we walked around town a bit, enjoying the beautiful lights on the canals.


After riding our bikes back home, K turned in while B, L, and I took a late night walk (so much being still during tech meant we had energy.  We wandered through Oosterpark before finding a bar for an outside beer.  

A cafe near our apartment. Always bustling.




No comments: