20 December 2008

in Virginia

After my New York adventure, I flew down to Virginia to see the fam. I arrived on Thursday afternoon, met Mom at the airport, and had a drink with her while we waited for Denise to arrive. By the time we got home, Dad was there, and we decorated the tree and had good cheer (we missed you, Sarah). That night, we went out for Mexican food at a nice where the margaritas were excessively overpriced.

On Friday, Denise and I worked on Mom-Mom's xmas gift and then visited Mom-Mom (we missed you, Sarah) in the home where she lives. We sat with her while she finished lunch, and then we watched a bit of the Bonnie Hunt show. She looked good. She's way to mentally aware to be in a home, but her body's falling apart, and she can't take care of herself. Alas.

Friday night, Denise and I went to meet a friend from Virginia Stage for a drink (we missed you, Sarah). Or three. Then, dinner at the Raven (we missed you, Sarah) and home for more old stories and accompanying coffee-dessert thing. Then, more wrestling with the digital picture frame.

This morning, I exercised and got some work done. I had hoped to have a morning to focus on the work I needed to do, but I kept getting interrupted with visitors. I saw our neighbor Terre (we missed you, Sarah) and other friends. I got some work done in the afternoon and wrapped some gifts before cousin Chris and his wife Elysia came over for a visit (we missed you, Sarah). We had a nice visit, took a walk to see the holiday lights, and then headed out for a dinner with the extended family.

After dinner, we went to my Aunt & Uncle's place, where they set up a mild roast ('celebration') of Chris, who recently turned 30. Everyone told stories about Chris - some funny, some sad, some silly. Then, cake and ice cream (we missed you, Sarah) and a small gift exchange. Mom-Mom opened her gift, a digital picture frame full of family photos. Chris and Elysia gave and received a lot of gifts, since they'll be in PA for Xmas itself. They enjoyed the CD and coasters we gave them. They loved the afgan Denise crocheted. I liked the book, whiskey, and funnel-cake set that they gave me.

All in all, it's been a great trip. But everyone misses Sarah!

No comments: